Louise TY (:

There are many themes in Wuthering Heights such as revenge, social class, love, rebellion and conflict between good and bad.

We see revenge throughout the novel with Heathcliff. After Catherine marries Edgar instead of him, Heathcliff becomes withdrawn and angry and points his hatred towards her nearest. He despises their daughter Catherine for two primary reasons, for one she is not his child with Catherine and secondly his soul mate died giving birth to her. Just before his death Heathcliff says “My old enemies have beaten me; now would be the precise time to revenge myself on their representatives: I could do it; and none could hinder me. But where is the use? I don't care for striking. I can't take the trouble to raise my hand! That sounds as if I had been labouring the whole time, only to exhibit a fine trait of magnanimity. It is far from being the case – I have lost the faculty of enjoying their destruction, and I am too idle to destroy for nothing.” This shows his peace on reflection of his brutal treating of Catherine’s family throughout his life.

In Wuthering Heights, there’s two types of love. For example, with Edgar and Catherine there is a restrained devotion but with Heathcliff and Catherine it is more adoring and soulful. Although content with being married to Edgar, Catherine’s real soul mate is Heathcliff, they have a real connection and they really understand each other, she makes him a better, more considerate person. We see Catherine’s understanding of the two men in chapter 9 when she says “My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods: time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees. My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath: a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being. So don't talk of our separation again: it is impracticable.” Her daughter Catherine’s marriage to Linton becomes miserable even though they were happy in each other’s company at the start, because he began to pick up his father’s traits.

Labels: , edit post
0 Responses

Post a Comment